Sunday, November 11, 2012

the third interview


1My preparations
For my first interview, I choose one from Asian countries. I choose one Africa country for my third interview. Based on my previous interview experience, I used my checklist which is very helpful. It helps me not to forget things that I need. I removed one question about religions from my list before I interviewed, because I know Saudi Arabian people have very high sensitivity for this topic. I searched backgrounds on google for my interview preparation.
How did you approach people.
I take the esl class last semester. There are many Saudi Arabian students who study there. I contacted one of my writing classmates on facebook to help me do my interview project. He agreed to help me and set up a time.
 When, where, and how did you conduct and record the interview?
I met him at coffee shop in miller center
 Whom did you interview?
His name is Abdullah.B. He comes from Saudi Arabia. He is a freshman and studies in the information system major.
2. Describe the interview. What did surprise you? How did the interview unfold?
I am not familler with their culture. At first, I just asked him one by one from that thirteen basic questions. he was willing to answer my questions. So we did a very well interview. I notice that in saudi arabian womem is very traditional. They wear long and fat clothings to cover their body and face. Also, women are not allowed to drive car. They couple can’t see each other before they marry.the educational struture is petty much like china and american. 
3Country report
The kingdom of saudi arabia. The government type is Monarchy with Council of Ministers and Consultati(or Shura) Council. 

Saudi Arabia has centuries-old attitudes and traditions, often derived from Arab tribal civilization. This culture has been bolstered by the austerely puritanical Wahhabiform of Islam, which arose in the eighteenth century and now predominates in the country. The many limitations on behaviour and dress are strictly enforced both legally and socially. Alcoholic beverages are prohibited, for example, and there is no theatre or public exhibition of films. Public expression of opinion about domestic political or social matters is discouraged. There are no organizations such as political parties or labour unions to provide public forums.
Daily life is dominated by Islamic observance. Five times each day, Muslims are called to prayer from the minarets of mosques scattered throughout the country. Because Friday is the holiest day for Muslims, the weekend begins on Thursday In accordance with Wahhabi doctrine, only two religious holidays are publicly recognized, Īd al-Fiṭr and Īd al-Aḍḥā. Celebration of other Islamic holidays, such as the Prophet’s birthday and Āshūrā (an important holiday for Shīites), are tolerated only when celebrated locally and on a small scale. Public observance of non-Islamic religious holidays is prohibited, with the exception of September 23, which commemorates the unification of the kingdom.
Dress
Saudi Arabian dress strictly follows the principles of hijab (the Islamic principle of modesty, especially in dress). The predominantly loose and flowing, but covering, garments are suited to Saudi Arabia's desert climate. Traditionally, men usually wear an ankle length shirt woven from wool or cotton (known as a thawb), with a keffiyeh (a large checkered square of cotton held in place by a cord coil) or a ghutra (a plain white square made of finer cotton, also held in place by a cord coil) worn on the head. For rare chilly days, Saudi men wear a camel-hair cloak over the top. Women's clothes are decorated with tribal motifs, coins, sequins, metallic thread, and appliques. Women are required to wear an abaya or modest clothing when in public

4. Interview transcription
Me :Hello, thanks for coming my interview. Long time no see, how are you?
A: Hi, I am fine. How is going so far?
Me: It is good but there are many projects I have to do. Such as this interview is for my English 191 class. I need to interview and compare three people form different country. But I enjoy to interview students.
A: That’s nice because you can learn lot of things.
Me: yeah,you are right. Are you ready for answer all my questions?
A: yes. Go ahead.
Me:you comes form saudia, What are the typical greetings in your country and what do they mean?
A:In Saudi, men often greet each other with kisses, but Saudi men usually just shake hands with foreign men unless they are close friends.
Me: I heard that in saudi. Men and women have an difference relationship with other country. Is that true?
A: Because of the strict segregation of the sexes, there is very little communication between men and women in public. Other forigin country people should aviod to get close to opposite sex.
Me: that’s culture. I saw that many saudia women wearing very long clothing, is that stand for something?
A: yes, it is a traditional custom to wear long clothings.
Me: What religious holidays or other cultural events do you or others celebrate; can you explain your traditions for each?
A: Um, our religion is Muslim.Muslims have two major religious observances each year, Ramadan and Hajj, and corresponding holidays connected with each one.
Me: What different modes of transportation are used in your country? 
A: like most of country, car is most common transportations. Everyfamily have their own car. Bus and fight also are used.
Me: it looks the same as other country. Which country`s food do you like the most?
A there is no doubt that I like saudia food the most. But sometimes I will try chinese food. It taste very good.
Me: Do you see any difference between chinese food and saudi food?
A: I think chinese food is made by very complicated ingrents. And saudia food is very simple.
Me:that is true. So How would you describe famous sports in your country
A: for me, I would like to watch football. Eventhough our country is not good at it.
Me: You often play football with your friends in here?
A: hehe. I hope but I can’t find playyard in here.
Me: can you describe a typical day for children in your country?
A: you mean students?
Me: yes.
A: oh. They go to school from Monday to Friday every week. And class begins at 8am. After class they may go back home to do their homework.
Me: so what age did you start school?
A6.
MeYou went to elementary school at 6?
A: Yean. I went to kindergarten at 4 years old.
 
Me: are you under a lot of pressure when you go to school?
A
before i went to school, my mom teacher teach me some basic knowlege. so I am not feel any stress.
Me: That is cool.
A
yean.
Me:  What could SCSU do to make your stay on campus better?
A: you know, becasue saudia people still wearing our triditional clothings. when we walk outside, some peole may thinks our very strange. if our school can provide us more stage to propaganda our culture. i think it will make us happy.
Me: That's a good idea. you and me are international students. we come here, most students are america. sometimes. they may misunderstand us.
A: yes. the other things is that i want our school provide more different food for us.
Me; that what i think.
A: School life is tough sometimes. thanks we have friends.
Me: yes. are you go back home we are done our interview?
A:oh, i will go to city with my friends.
Me: then, thank you for you time to come here. have a good day.
A: you are welcome. you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment