Sunday, November 4, 2012

Second interview


Interview preparation
My second interview is about the United States. The country which I am now studYihaohaong in is the most developed country in the world. And a lot of things in the United States interest me like the PC games and the NBA. I want to know more about this country, not only about these things which I am interested in but also a lot of things in other aspects to help me join this United States’ family. So I invite my friend Cody to have an interview, he is also interested in the sports in his country.

Interview report
The interview went so well because we have the same hobbies and it was very relaxed during the interview. Cody is my best American friend, we met each other in the Ethnic class and when we chatted in the break time, we found we have same hobbies so we were enjoYihaohaong the time we chatted with each other.

Country report
The United States is the fourth largest country in the world at the size of 3.79 million square miles. The capital city of the United States is Washington DC. And this country lies between the pacific and Atlantic Oceans. To the north of it is Canada and to the south of it is Mexico. There are over 314 million people in the United States. The United States is one of the most developed countries in the world. The World War 1 confirmed the country’s status as a global military power. The United States emerged from the World War 2 as the first country with nuclear weapons and a permanent member of the United Nations Security Council. The end of the Cold War and the dissolution of the Soviet Union left the United States as the sole superpower. The US economy is the world’s largest national economy, with an estimated 2011 GDP of 15.1trillion USD (22% of nominal global GDP and over 19% of global GDP at purchasing-power parity).

Transcription
Yihao: OK, let's start our interview and thanks for your coming Cody and this is my first question, Where are you from?
Cody: I was born in United StatesMinnesota, Duluth.
Yihao: How to spell the city?
Cody: D-U-L-U-T-H. It’s kind of in the north of Minnesota.
Yihao: So you are living on campus now?
Cody: Yes.
Yihao: What kind of government is in charge of your home country, how did it affect your life and you know in China, the government take charge of almost everything.
Cody: Do you know democracy in America?
Yihao: Yep, but i just know something about it.
Cody: Ok. You know every American has their right to select president. Democracy is about freedom and the choice. You can do your own decision and no one can change it.
Yihao: Do you vote for president on the 6th Nov?
Cody: Yes, we vote for president every four years.
Yihao: At which age can you have right to make your own vote?
Cody: You should be 18.
Yihao: Ok.I think it's the same in China but in our country, only a few people pay attention to this right and how to use it. Can you describe a typical day for a child in your country?
Cody: Well. I will talk about a typical day for a six or seven child I think. They wake up about 8 a.m.. They usually eat breakfast with their parents and then parents will drive their children to school. Some of the students take school bus to go to school. Then they go for a day in school. In most of the schools, the school time is from about 9am to 3pm. Kindergarten children do not have much academic. Then they go back home and have several hours left to do other things. Usually, these children will spend lots of time with their family.
Yihao: Do you believe in any religion like Christian?
Cody: Yes.
Yihao: So are you a Christian?
Cody: Yes.
Yihao: Usually you celebrate Christmas?
Cody: Yes. We have several holidays. The main one is Christmas. We give presents to our family members and some friends. We also celebrate Easter.
Yihao: How about the gift giving?
Cody:  We give gifts to parents, friends, relatives and a lot of people. Depends how much you like them. If you do not come back to China, i will prepare one for you.
Yihao: Aha,thank you.By the way. Do you have any daily rituals in regards to your religious beliefs?
Cody: Yes, I pray every week.
Yihao: Do you read Bible?
Cody: You don’t need to read Bible every day. I probably read once a week, not every day. You don’t really have to.
Yihao: Do you go to church every Sunday?
Cody: Yes, every Sunday.
Yihao: What are the typical greetings in your culture and what do they mean?
Cody: Typical greetings are usually shaking hands. Kiss is a wired greeting. I don’t really see people doing here.
Yihao: Do you hug with people?
Cody: Not usually.
Yihao: What different modes of transportation are used in USA?
Cody: The most common mode transportation is car. That’s for sure. The next one, it’s hard to say, probably bike. It’s a popular one.
Yihao: Which country`s food do you like the most?
Cody: It’s a tough one. I think Chinese food, probably because I really like spicy food. It tastes really good. Once I took Indian food, it’s really really spicy. I think Chinese food has a good balance of spicy.
Yihao: Do you like American food?
Cody: I guess I kind of like American food but Chinese food is better. Even if I like burgers, if I take burgers every day, it doesn’t taste good. You know what I mean?
Yihao: Yes. Besides burgers and fast food, what other kinds of American food do you usually have?
Cody: Beside burgers and fast food, we have a lot of things we can cook at home like cheese, hot dogs.
Yihao: Does your family usually cook at home?
Cody: Yes, my family definitely eat at home more often than. Fast food is not good for you. A lot of people know that and it cost much.
Yihao: Ok, let's talk something about the most wonderful parts that i am interested in the United States. How would you describe famous sports in USA?
Cody: I think most famous sport is football.
Yihao: How about the basketball?
Cody: Yes, basketball is also popular. I know you love watching NBA games a lot, and you know some of the basketball stars in Minnesota are very famous like Rubio and Kevin Love. And how do you know about super bowl?
Yihao: I know it is a very large game for the football fans.
Cody: Yes, millions and millions of people watch super bowl that night. Basketball is the second. Another one could be baseball.
Yihao: What’s your favorite sport?
Cody: Umm. It’s a tough one. I think it’s football.
Yihao: Do you watch football.
Cody: Yes, I am a big fan.
Yihao: Let's talk another topic. At what age do you start school?
Cody: It kind of depends on person. Children usually start school at 6 or 7. We have pre-school for 3 and 4. You don’t need to go. For example, I skip the pre-school.
Yihao: Do you have any requirement that you must go school at which age?
Cody: No, nothing like that.
Yihao: What could SCSU do to make your stay on campus better?  
Cody: I live in my house and I just drive here when I have class. I think one thing could change may be the parking fees because they don’t really need this money to pay anything. It’s better free for parking.
Yihao: Does every teenager have to go to work when they are 16?
Cody: They don’t have to. Some parents want their children to have a job and get money but you don’t have to. For example, I am 16 and I don’t have a job.
Yihao: So, that’s it. Thank you so much.
Cody: No problem.
Yihao: Do you go home right now.
Cody: I just go to Garvey and have dinner on campus.
Yihao: Oh it's also my plan. Let's go!

No comments:

Post a Comment